E-2 Treaty Investor Visa: Q&A

 In Blog

E-2 visas are temporary work visas for business investors and their employees who come to the U.S. to invest substantial capital. Here are some questions which are mostly asked by our clients.

1. Which countries are eligible to apply for E-2 Visa?

E-2 visas are available only to citizens of countries with which the U.S. signed an agreement. Here is the list of Treaty Countries.

2. Do I have to invest 1 Million dollars and hire 10 employees?

No. E-2 Visa does not require a specific amount of Investment and does not have a specific number of employees that you have to hire but usually the business should employ at least some employees in the U.S.

3. What is the minimum amount of an Investment required?

Generally, the amount of your investment should be anywhere between $50,000 to $ 500,000.

4. Do I have to make a Business Plan?

Yes.  5-year businesses plan is a key element that immigration officials consider when they review your Visa petition.

5. Is there any requirement for a particular type of business I have to run?

No.  Your business must be active and profitable.

6. Does an E-2 Visa lead to A Green Card?

No. E-2 Investor Visas are non-immigrant visas which are approved for 5-year period with a possibility of renewal. The EB-5 Visa is a completely different Immigrant Visa and you can read more about and EB-5 Visa here.

7. Does an Investment in Real-Estate Qualify for an E-2 Visa?

No.  The applicant must prove that the business is active and real.  This excludes passive investments like real-estate or owning stock. However, there are some exceptions. Please click here to read more.

8. Can I bring my family to the U.S.?

Investor’s spouse and kids will automatically get E-2 Visa as a dependents and spouse is allow to apply for the work authorization.

9. How much does E-2 Visa cost and how long does it take?

Legal fees are starting from USD 5,000 – 7,000 and generally it takes 60-90 days to complete all the steps required for the application for E-2 Investment Visa.

10. Do I need a lawyer?

We strongly recommend hiring an attorney because oftentimes USCIS sends a Request for Additional Evidence that can be pretty challenging.

Click here to learn a difference between E2 Investor Visa and EB5 Green Card. 

Did you like this article?

Sign up to our newsletter and share it with your friends.

Recommended Posts

Leave a Comment


Ready to start a business in the USA and apply for E2 Visa? 

and let me show you how!

Almost there! Now check your email...