How to Apply for the Visa of Your Dependents?

 In Blog

If you are applying for E or L Visa your dependents are allowed to accompany you during your stay in the U.S.

Who is the “dependent” when applying for American visa?

Dependent is general term used for a principal visa holder’s spouse – legally married husband or wife, and/or an unmarried minor children under the age of 21. These family members would be classified as dependents even though they are not the same nationality as you are. According to the U.S. immigration law, parents, in-laws or adult children over 21 years are not considered as dependents. But they can occasionally visit you on visitor’s visa.

Once you decided to apply for the E or L visa and you want to take your closest family members with you, you can concurrently submit the application for the dependent visa. In both cases, the E derivative visa for dependents can be issued only upon the approval of the principal E visa. Your dependents may stay in the U.S. while your status remains valid and while you are engaged in the commercial activity for which your visa was granted.

If you are L1-A or L1-B visa holder, your spouse and child can join you on your journey to USA and legally stay there with you only if they possess an L2 visa. It’s a non-immigrant type of visa and it’s also valid only for the duration of your L1 visa. That’s up to 7 years in case of dependents of L1-A visa holder and up to 5 years for dependents of L1-B visa holder.

The major advantage of both above mentioned dependents visas is that your spouse is allowed to work in the U.S. once Employment Authorization Document is filed and approved by USCIS. Consequently, your legitimate partner is not forced to give up on her/his  career and can do any legal job – part time, full time, online, off-line, from home, at the office or remotely. This possibility doesn’t apply to your children, but they are permitted to attend school either part-time or full-time without applying for F-1 visa for students. Your spouse can study as well. All dependents are allowed to travel in and out of the USA for short trips.

What documents need to be submitted when applying for E/L1 dependents visa?

–  Non-immigrant visa application
–  Valid passport
–  Two recent colored photographs
–  Original marriage certificate/ birth certificate
–  Evidence proving family relationship
–  Proof of funds to support the stay of the applicant in the USA
–  Copy of the principal E visa/L1 visa application with all supporting documentation
–  Visa application fee

Dealing with multiple visas can be confusing so if you want to be sure that your dependents will accompany you during your stay in the USA, let our professional team to arrange it for you. Contact us if you have any questions.

Click here to learn about Work Authorization for your spouse. 

Did you like this article?

Sign up to our newsletter and share it with your friends!

Recommended Posts

Leave a Comment

Hey You!

Ready to move to the USA?
SIGN UP for a FREE VISA MASTERCLASS and learn how to start a business, invest and get a WORK VISA to the USA. 

Almost there! Now check your email...