What Should I Know After I’ve Been Granted My E-2 Investor Visa (PART I)

 In Blog

What to do after you got E-2 Investor Visa?

The E-2 treaty investor visa is a great option for foreign investors who do not have the $500,000 to $1,000,000 USD to invest, but still have a substantial amount of income to invest in a business within the U.S. One of the main requirements for the E-2 investor visa program is that the investor must be from a treaty country. Although the E-2 visa does not provide permanent resident status, such as the EB-5 visa, the recipient of the visa is allowed an initial stay of two years and can request for an extension after that time period. Fortunately for the E-2 visa holder, there are no limitations on the number of times you may apply for an extension. Each extension comes with a two year time period. Although the law states that the E-2 visa holder does not need to maintain residence in a foreign country or have to establish that they plan to stay in the U.S. on a temporary basis, they are required to express true intent that they plan to leave the U.S. once their E-2 visa status has been terminated.

What does this mean in layman’s terms? For the investor this means that you are eligible to transfer all of your household items and maintain a residence solely in the U.S. while you are a holder of the E-2 visa. If there is any time in which the visa is terminated or not renewed, your must be willing to return to your home country. In most cases, evidence of this intent is not necessary beyond your expressed consent, however, if there is cause for inquiry, additional documentation may be needed.

E-2 Investor Visa doesn’t a grand permanent residency.

How does this affect you if you are looking to stay in the U.S. permanently? As stated earlier, the E-2 investor visa does not grant permanent residence status. If you are in the U.S. under an E-2 visa and would like to switch to an EB-2 visa, there are additional processes, fees and time associated with this. Due to the nature of the E-2 visa program, if you are currently an beneficiary on an application for permanent residence status, you must still imply your intent to leave the U.S. if your E-2 status is terminated, even if the current application for permanent residency is still pending. Failure to do this may revoke your E-2 treaty visa status and make your current status in the U.S. illegal.

It is always important to stay abreast of your renewal status or expiration dates of your visa. Whether you wish to extend or apply for another type of visa status, maintaining legal status within the U.S. is very important.

If you would like additional information on the E-2 or EB-5 visa programs, please feel free to explore our website at immigrationbiz.com.

Did you like this article? Share or like it!

Click here to read more about E2 visa. 

Immigration Biz.

Author: Maurica John

Recommended Posts

Leave a Comment


Ready to start a business in the USA and apply for E2 Visa? 

and let me show you how!

Almost there! Now check your email...