What’s the Difference between L1A Manager Visa and L1B Intracompany Transferee Visa?

 In Blog

What’s the Difference between L1A Manager Visa and L1B Intracompany Transferee Visa?

Applying for a visa is not a complicated task as long as you know what you are getting yourself into in the first place. Keeping this in mind, a lot of people tend to make the terrible mistake of confusing the L-1A manager visa with the L-1B Intracompany transferee visa. This not only creates a lot of problems, but it can risk being denied entry into the U.S. However, this can be avoided by finding out more about each visa and the differences that set each other apart from one another.

Determining Eligibility for L-1A Manager Visa

The L-1A visa is specifically targeted for executives or managers coming to work in the U.S. Such individuals need to serve at a managerial position for no less than a year out of the three years serving for the foreign company. Even though the employer may not have an office in the U.S. the employee is still eligible for the L-1A visa as long as the purpose of the visit is to establish a new office. The visa is granted for a year initially if the company is new. But for companies that have been operational for more than a year the visa can last for three years. Additionally, extensions are available in two-year increments as long as the stay does not exceed seven years.

Determining Eligibility for L-1 B Intracompany Transferee Visa

The L-1B has been designed for knowledgeable and specialized employees. This could be any individual with essential knowledge about the company’s services or products. These employees are usually required to train and educate new employees for the company and its operations in the U.S. In case the respective company does not have a subsidiary or office in the U.S. an employee with specialized knowledge can be sent to establish one as soon as possible. The visa is issued for no more than three years, but it can be extended for two years that makes it five years in total, which is not the case with the L-1A visa.

Applying for an L-1A and L-1B Visa

As far as applying for the L-1A or the L-1B visa goes, the procedure is almost the same. The respective employee will need to file a petition with the USCIS. If the individual is in the U.S, then he/she will need to file for a change of status. But if that is not the case, the petitioner will need to visit the nearest Consulate or US Embassy in their home country. As long as the information being provided is precise and establishes a relationship between the employer and the U.S. along with the petitioner’s job duties that need to be performed, it is highly unlikely the application will be delayed or worse, denied.

Now that you know the difference between an L-1B intracompany transferee visa and an L-1A manager visa, you will be able to submit an appropriate application with the required documentation to better enhance your chances of success.

  Did you like this article? Share or like it. Don’t forget to sign up to our newsletter and receive updates for FREE!

Recommended Posts
  • Valcionir

    For those investors in the Structured Products that have two sreies running together (S$ and UD$), and if you invest in the S$ sreies, i.e to receive interest in S$ instead of US$, this shows that you are a conservative investor as you would not even consider to have a forex rate risk on the interest received, although the US$ tranche usually pays a higher rate of interest.

Leave a Comment


Ready to start a wildly profitable business in the USA and apply for E2 Visa? 

and let me show you how!

Almost there! Now check your email...